Is sitting too much hurting your back?
If you are like most other Americans, you work every day at a desk. All that sitting could be the cause of mild to severe Lower back pain. The seated position puts additional stress on the vertebrates in your lower back and this could be the source of your Lower back pain. Here's why:
- Sitting in the same position for hours can cause 30% more spinal pressure compared to standing or walking.
- Excessive sitting can increase the risk for or exacerbate low back pain conditions, such as a herniated disc, slipped disc, degenerative disc disease, or sciatica.
- A lack of exercise can lead to muscle atrophy in the muscles in the abdomen and lower back.
- Poor posture can lead to a wide array of back complications.
So What Can You Do to Help?
Certain practices and exercises can be done to prevent the pain associated with excessive sitting. See these tips below:
- Your feet should reach the floor.
- Five chair legs are better than four for added stability.
- Hips should be the same level or higher than the knees.
- Forearms ought to rest easily on the arm rests.
- Sit completely against the back of the chair.
- Consider even getting a standing desk!
At Manhattan Wellness Group, your local Manhattan Chiropractor, Acupuncture and Massage Therapy Specialists, we deal with all kinds of back pain associated with sitting in the work place. So if these tips are not enough, come in and visit Dr. Trabulsi and his team of experts.