When to Use Epidural Steroid Injection?
Many spinal conditions cause inflammation or pressure on the nerve roots leading out of the spine. These conditions include the following:
- spinal stenosis: A narrowing of the spinal canal and nerve root canal can cause back and leg pain, especially when walking.
- Spondylolysis: A weakness or fracture between the upper and lower facets of a vertebra. If the vertebra slips forward (spondylolisthesis), it can compress the nerve roots causing pain.
- Herniated disc: The gel-like material within the disc can bulge or rupture through a weak area in the surrounding wall (annulus). Irritation, pain, and swelling occur when this material squeezes out and comes in contact with a spinal nerve.
- Degenerative disc: A breakdown or aging of the intervertebral disc causing collapse of the disc space, tears in the annulus, and growth of bone spurs.
- Sciatica: Pain that courses along the sciatic nerve in the buttocks and down the legs. It is usually caused by compression of the 5th lumbar or 1st sacral spinal nerve.
The inflammation from these conditions can result in pain, tingling, or numbness along the nerves in the neck, back and legs. A lumbar epidural steroid injection may be used to reduce the inflammation around the spinal nerves.
What is an Epidural Steroid Injection?
During the procedure, the patient lies down with a cushion underneath their stomach to increase flexion in the lumbar spine, giving more room for the needle to pass through. Medicines are delivered to the spinal nerve through the epidural space, the area between the protective covering of the spinal nerves and bony vertebrae. Pain relief may last for several days or even years. The goal is to reduce pain so that you may resume normal activities and a physical therapy program.
Dr. Rashad Trabulsi and his team have an excellent track record performing Epidural Steroid Injections in patients with swelling around the spine. If you are experiencing shooting pain from from nerve pressure, come see an expert today at Manhattan Wellness Group.