Your neck, shoulders and upper back must hold up your head, typically 12 pounds worth. In addition to holding it up, it must allow it to move in many directions. This flexibility makes it prone to injuries.
Upper back, shoulder and neck injuries are due to a variety of causes. These include:
- Sitting in the same position for long periods of time
- Repetitive movements
- Car accident
- Hit to the body or the head
If any of these things happen, you are likely to experience problems due to subluxations.
Chiropractic will locate the source of your pain so we can eliminate the problem. Your chiropractor will ask questions such as:
- When did the pain start?
- Did you use ice or heat?
- What have you done to reduce the pain?
- Where is the area that hurts the most?
- Does the pain go into other parts of your body?
- Do certain body positions such as lying down or sitting make it better or make it worse?
The answers to these questions, as well as range of motion tests, reflex tests, muscle strength, and x-rays will help your chiropractor diagnose the problem and help him/her find a way to best treat you. A neck adjustment can be done by hand or using chiropractic instruments. This is done to improve the mobility of the spine, restore your range of motion and to reduce or remove nerve interference. By doing so, this may reduce pain, soreness, stiffness and increase function.