What are the common Sciatica symptoms?
Common symptoms of sciatica are:
- Pain on one side of the buttock or in one leg that becomes worse when sitting
- Burning or tingling down the leg
- Weakness, numbness, or difficulty in moving the leg or foot
- A sharp pain that may make it difficult to stand or walk
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a syndrome that describes the pain from the low back due to a herniated disk or a pinched nerve down the leg on one side of the body. The whole ideology of pain or symptoms affecting the sciatic nerve in the root and the lower extremity is what we refer to “sciatica”.
Sciatica is a condition that causes pain, most commonly low back pain, leg pain, and numbness due to pressure or irritation of the sciatic nerve in the low back. Most often, spine conditions, including herniated discs and spinal stenosis, are responsible for the sciatic nerve compression and sciatica pain. Other causes of sciatica include spinal injuries and degenerative disc disease. Sciatica can also develop from gradual wear and tear.
The sciatic nerve is the largest in our bodies traveling down the lower back, hip, buttocks, and the back of the leg down to the foot. Often, sciatica affects one side of the body, not both. The sciatica symptoms experienced vary depending on the location of the nerve compression. We will help locate the origin of the nerve compression to treat sciatica pain properly.
Sciatica Treatment in NYC
At Manhattan Wellness Group, One of our doctors will consult with you, review your health history, and perform a neurological, orthopedic, and physical exam. We may also request different imaging or tests to locate the origin of your sciatic pain. This will speed recovery and improve the effects of treatments. Our goal is to treat your sciatica pain using integrative treatments to avoid surgery. Sciatic Syndrome diagnosis and testing may include:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Computerized Tomography Scan (CT Scan)
- A Nerve Conduction Velocity Test/Electromyography (NCV/EMG)
Examples of different Sciatica treatments at Manhattan Wellness Group
- Massage Therapy to release muscle nerve entrapment that might be a cause for nerve compression
- Acupuncture to control the pain and stimulate all the acupoints associated with the nerve entrapment. Acupuncture also promotes blood circulation and endorphin release to ease the pain
- Physical Therapy to stretch and strengthen the area affected by the pinched nerve and help patients regain flexibility, strength, and mobility
- Chiropractic Adjustments, manipulation, and traction to the spine to release pressure on the nerve root affected
- Medical Pain Management may include anti-inflammatory non-steroid or steroid medications/injections. At Manhattan Wellness Group, under the leadership of Dr. Ayman Farag, advanced procedures like the cervical epidural, lumbar epidural, nerve blocking, facet blocking, or nerve blasting can also be performed if needed.
Our medical and Chiropractic doctors are highly experienced in providing non-surgical sciatic treatments over a few weeks or a few months, depending on the cause’s severity. Call us today without hesitation if you’re suffering from sciatica!!!