Stretching and Strengthening at Manhattan Wellness Group
Lower Back Stretching and Strengthening Exercises - Occupational Physiotherapy
Stretches to Reduce Back Pain
- Modified Cobra:
- Lie face down with your body fully extended
- Bend your elbows and put your hands flat on the ground even with your chest
- Gently press down on the floor to raise your head and upper body, keeping your pelvis flat on the floor
- With your arms fully extended, hold this position for approximately 10 seconds
- Childs Pose:
- Position yourself on the floor on hands and knees with your knees just wider than hip distance apart.
- Turn your toes in to touch and push your hips backwards bending your knees.
- Once you reach a comfortable seated position, extend your arms forward fully and allow your head to fall forward into a relaxation position.
- Hamstring Stretch:
- Lay flat on your back and interlock fingers of both hands under the hamstring of one leg
- Keeping the leg as straight as possible, slowly lift the leg until tension is felt (you should not feel discomfort, only tension)
- Hold for 10-20 seconds and repeat with the opposite leg
The Importance of Stretching and Strengthening in Preventing Future Injuries
Dr. Rashad Trabulsi and his team at Manhattan Wellness Group endores regular stretching program. Adhering to a stretching schedule and seeing a professional for regular stretching sessions can help lengthen your muscles and make daily living activities easier. Stretching can result in the following benefits if conducted regularly:
- Reduced muscle tension
- Increased range of movement in the joints
- Enhanced muscular coordination
- Increased circulation of the blood to various parts of the body
- Increased energy levels (resulting from increased circulation)
The most obvious and established benefit of stretching and strengthening muscles is to help with flexibility and range of motion. A combination of exercise, stretching and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues helping your health and any natural healing processes the body is performing. Building endurance and training muscle through these techniques are important factos in injury prevention. Many of today’s complaints of back, neck, shoulder, or discomfort in other areas are related to imbalance and weakness in the postural muscles of the neck, low back, and core.
Manhattan Wellness Group's treatment plan initially incorporates Stretching and Strengthening to promote pain-free range of motion. As pain stops in the second phase of care, stabilization exercises are started to promote good posture and balance to prevent re-injury.