Deep Tissue Massage Therapy
What is Deep Tissue Massage?
Deep-tissue massage is a specific type of massage therapy that concentrates on the deepest layers of muscle tissue, tendons and fascia (the protective layer surrounding muscles, bones and joints). By using deep finger pressure and slow, firm strokes, deep tissue massage is used to treat a variety of physical ailments. At Manhattan Wellness Group, our massage therapists work hand in hand with our chiropractors to apply synergistic treatment techniques. The two specialists combine to form a treatment plan for each individual patient.
A study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that people's blood pressure consistently dropped fell after a single 45 to 60 minute deep tissue massage. Additionally, a 2010 meta-analysis in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry found that deep tissue massage has the effects of reducing stress hormone levels and lowering heart rate while boosting mood and relaxation through the release of oxytocin and serotonin into the body.
How does Deep Tissue Massage work?
Muscles have a natural reflex to resist pain. When a certain pressure is applied to muscle during a massage, When a muscle thinks it's about to be injured, and this reflex is triggered.Effective massages relax and release areas of tension.
What to Expect During Treatment:
The massage therapist uses warm oils and direct pressure to relax the top layer of muscle in order to reach deeper layers of the muscle tissue. Depending on the situation, the therapist may need to modify the massage to keep the client comfortable so they do not subconsciously resist the work. When too much pressure is applied during a massage, the muscle or group of muscles will naturally resist force by tightening further. This is the opposite effect of what a massage is all about. Effective massages relax and release areas of tension. So it is always good to let your massage therapist know about your level comfort.
Please talk with your professional massage therapist to see if a deep tissue massage therapy would be beneficial for you.
How does Deep Tissue Massage help you?
Many people get a deep tissue massage to help relieve chronic aches and pain. Some feel the benefits of a deep tissue massage in minimizing Lower back pain, releasing tension in a stiff neck, sore shoulders, upper back, or loosening tight muscles in their arms and legs.
What are the common uses of Deep Tissue Massage?
Deep Tissue Massage can be used for the following:
- Reduce Chronic Pain
- The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that deep-tissue massage is more effective and affordable for relieving chronic pain than conventional medical remedies. Because deep-tissue massage increases the flow of blood through through the body, it helps reduce the inflammation that causes pain. Deep-tissue massage can also help alleviate muscle tension that is often a side effect of chronic pain by loosening the tight tissue clusters.
- Improve Blood Pressure
- Deep-tissue massage helps ease stress and tension, which can have a beneficial effect on blood pressure. People who had a deep-tissue massage saw their systolic pressure drop by an average of 10.4 mm Hg and their diastolic pressure drop an average 5.3 mm Hg, according to a study cited by the University of Maryland Medical Center. Deep-tissue massage can help increase the body's production of serotonin, the hormone that promotes happiness and good feelings.
- Break Up Scar Tissue
- Over time, deep-tissue massage therapy can help break up and eventually erase scar tissue in the body. It does this by improving lymphatic circulation and drainage to improve flexibility and range of motion in the affected area. Scar tissue is often associated with ongoing pain and stiffness, so deep-tissue massage can improve these symptoms. Massage therapy is often recommended for people who are recovering from surgery.
- Rehabilitate Injured Muscles
- Deep-tissue massage can be an effective treatment for injured muscles. Because it facilitates the movement of toxins from the muscles and helps stretch tight or twisted muscle mass, deep-tissue massage can help promote healing. Because massage also helps relax muscles, it can reduce the pain caused by injuries, too. Deep-tissue massage is frequently used to rehabilitate sports injuries.
- Relieve Stress
- For those people who suffer from chronic stress, and all of its various, possible side-effects like tension headaches, rigid shoulders and tight muscles; deep tissue massage can be a relief. During a session you can let it all go and give in to the healing. Once renewed and revitalized you'll be able to face your challenges more equitably.